Monday, May 19, 2008

3 Songs by Jon Bushaway

Here's some reviews I posted on the SoundClick Critics Corner Forum. All of the pieces in this post are by Jon Bushaway. Here's a link to his site: CLICK HERE . He did not have these pieces posted anywhere on SoundClick at the time of the writing of these reviews.

My review of "Was Once" by Jon Bushaway.

"Was Once" is an eerie atmospheric piece, which reminded me of a scene in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. A Federation fleet has just been destroyed by the Borg at Wolf 359 (I think that's the number). The Starship Enterprise is late arriving, so they fly through the wreckage. They see debris from destroyed ships. What few ships are left have been heavly damaged. This piece would work well here. Of course, if you aren't a Star Trek fan, this piece would work well in any examination of the aftermath of a battle. Perhaps after a navy battle, a resque boat examining the wreckage in hopes of finding survivors, but none are to be found.

I think the name -- Was Once -- fits the image I see when it plays. As if someone is examinging something that ONCE WAS but is no more.

REPLAY VALUE: low for entertainment purposes. I don't have room for this piece on my 8gig IPod, but I am definitely keeping it on my computer. And, if used in the proper situation ... I think it's a wonderful piece.

OVERALL SOUND (Production): this one is hard for me to judge, since I don't have that great of an ear. I can't tell if he used a professional sound library or not. I use free soundfonts, and I like their sound just fine. (Of course, if I had the money, I would love the sample libraries, too.) The point is, I don't think the production quality gets in the way. If it were used professionally, it would probably be re-recorded, anyway.

SOME GREAT MOMENTS IN THE SONG: Just past the two minute marker, the string bass comes in with a walking bass part. I love the string bass, and I think this is a good example of bringing out its deep voice. Soon after the cello starts the melody. At about 4:25, the cello pans to the other speaker, keeping the piece fresh. Right after that, the violins pick up the melody. The piece is, thus, louder at this point.


Depending on the application, the piece is a little too long. If it were shaved to under five minutes (or better yet, not much longer than 3 minutes), I think the replay value for entertainment might be higher. Changes in the piece take a little too long to happen. A shorter version could have the cello melody happening within the first 30 seconds. Depenind on my mood, I might actually listen to a shorter version, perhaps to relax. Overall, though, I think it is a great piece.


My review of "Senna-extended" by Jon Bushaway.

In the interest of being fair, I want to forewarn the reader that this review is basically a negative one. However, I want to point out that I do love one aspect of this piece. This piece starts with a wonderful string pattern. I love it. My instrument is the violin. I played it in school from 4th grade all the way through high school. I ocassionally pick it up today. So, I love the string pattern, but that is all it is - a pattern, an element of harmony, etc...

The lack of variety and/or variation shoots down this 11 minute monstrousity. At 5:45, the string pattern fades into an atmospheric section with a slow bass drum and a few toms. This section of the song has potential and is not too terribly long. At 7:30, the string pattern fades back in with most of the atmospheric elements remaining. I don't have a problem with this section (sounds kinda nice) ... except (and, you might have guessed this already) ... that it takes another 3 and half minutes for the song to end ... with very little if any true variety and/or variation along the way.

There is no discernable melody. If there was, I could probably listen to 11 minutes of this harmony underneath. The string pattern is a great element, but there should be more.

Sorry.


My review of "Falling Leaves - Extended" by Jon Bushaway.

I am beginning to sense a pattern in Jon's music. He creates great stuff, but he drags one great idea out ... way too far.

This piece starts off with long string chords with a pizzicato string bass. Sounds great for a short period of time. Right after the minute marker, the plucking speed increases. Right before 1:30 a short faster melody element is introduced. At 3:50 the melody fades, and we have the opening chords again. Right before 4:30, percussion fades in ... an unexpected choice. (Unexpected is good in this case.) At 5:05 a faster paced treble harmony is introduced. Fifteen seconds later, the percussion gets louder, and a couple of minutes after that, it gets softer. It gets louder one more time ... that I could see.

This piece almost suffers the same fate as the last piece I reviewed. (Senna-Extended) The only thing that saves this piece is the drums that start about 4 and half minutes in. But, it isn't enough for me to put the piece on my IPod. That I believe is the highest kudos I can give a piece of music. Am I willing to put it on my IPod and listen to it while I clean windows? (That's my main occupation right now.) In this case, sorry. Stays on my computer.

What could save this piece IMO? Well, more melody. I think that could save "Senna-extended" as well. Which reminds me, why extend these pieces? There doesn't seem to be enough material to extend.

Sorry.

No comments: